Monday, November 9, 2009

It's a non-holiday


So according to my yahoo news ticker, Germany is spending the day remembering and celebrating. Apparently today is an important holiday. 20 years ago today "The Wall" came down. Thing is..... I've been out and about today and have seen no one remembering or celebrating.

The Berlin Wall (along with the OK city bombing, 9/11, and the Challenger explosion) is one of my "Kennedy" moments. I wasn't even a blink in anyone's eye when Kennedy was shot, but 20 years ago today I was a sophomore in highschool, moving from class to class watching live news coverage of the wall coming down on the then new streaming cable into the classroom technology**.

Maybe the boys and I will go walk the farmroads this afternoon and poll the local population and see if they knew they were witnessing history in the making. Doesn't seem like many of them will actually remember precisely what they were doing 20 years ago today.

I'm thinking the day might better be called... "if you're not in former East Germany, nobody cares" day.

**For what it's worth...the Berlin Wall and the US men's hockey team's bid to make it to the gold medal game at the 1992 Winter Olympics were the only live news events shown in my four years of highschool (and the hockey game wasn't shown in every class, only AP European History, presumably the teacher was a fan.)

No comments: